Friday, October 5, 2007

I Can See Clearly Now...


Luke 6:41-42 (ESV)
"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye."

It's time for the church to take the logs out of their eyes. While I was getting ready for work today, I was thinking about all the mess that goes in within the Body of Christ and Luke 6:41-42 came to mind. I witness people around me doing things contrary to the will of God everyday - unwilling to submit, ready to receive ministering but unwilling to sow back into the ministers who labor for them, carrying selfish ambitions masquerading themselves as righteous, unable to follow instructions - just plain disobedient. It's easy for me to get caught up in the actions of others, because let's face it, the decisions of other people can and do affect me (and you) personally! But then I remember that God is in control, and that my faith is not in people, it is in Jesus Christ. I remember that we all fall short, all are susceptible to sin, and in one's own eyes he is always right! So here I was, warring in my mind because of the decisions of other people. It can be so easy to look at the faults of others without first looking at yourself - and that's exactly what I was doing. I immediately was convicted and repented. I always try to make it a point to look at things from different perspectives, in fact one of my prayers is to be able to look at things from an eternal perspective, I really want to see things from God's eyes. The LORD began to show me areas where I had fallen short - from my devotional life, to bad stewardship over my finances and time, to my lack of faithfulness to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Again I repented and asked God to change me. At that point I realized that God was showing me how huge the rod is in my own eye, and that I need to remove that rod through my submission and faithfulness, and then, and only then, will He place me in a position to deal with the specks I see in other people's eyes. It is important to look at yourself circumspectly, comparing yourself to the Word, being careful of what you think, what you speak, and the intentions of your heart. Then, and only then, will we begin to see clearly and have the insight needed to effectively deal with sin in the lives of others.

1 Corinthians 13:11-12 - "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

No comments: