Thursday, October 11, 2007

Are Your Prayers Targeted?

Last night was a power-packed evening at Bible Study. Prophetess Dyer from the Bahamas preached and tore the house down! The topic of her message was Spiritual Maturity, piggy backing off of a message preached by Pastor Jean last Sunday (which I missed because I was out of town visiting my nephew). She ended her message sharing 5 keys that should govern a believer:

  1. Knowing God
  2. Having a Right Perspective
  3. Acting on Conviction
  4. Receiving and Sowing Skills
  5. Developing Character

The Word was specific to our house, which included correction, rebuke and an exhortation to get things in order. After the message the LORD began to move and released a powerful anointing as He brought deliverance and empowerment to His people. I didn’t get out until 2:00 am (those who know us, particularly my pastor, know that we can’t have a service for less than 5 hours lol), but as usual it didn’t seem that long. We have a saying at Divine Hope Restoration Ministries – “Don’t Rush Me When I’m In His Presence!” The word was sharp and on point, exactly what we needed. Now I only pray that we take heed to what was spoken and line ourselves up.

After she finished ministering to the congregation, my pastor grabbed the mic and began to expound even more on the Word. One thing he said, which he has shared with the ministers before, is that our prayers should be specific and targeted. I can honestly say that one of the biggest struggles I have had is consistency in prayer. I can break down the Word and get excited about rightly dividing the Truth, but my mind always seems to wander when it comes down to praying. Because I have been called as an intercessor I understand the battle, however I have no excuses for my disobedience in not pushing my way through. I had the pleasure of sitting in on the women’s meeting a few weeks ago since I am in charge of the sound, and one thing that my mother, Prophetess Danielle, shared with the women is an acronym for the word PUSH – Pray Until Something Happens. I haven’t been praying until something happens. In fact, I have been so stagnated that I can see promises of God being held up specifically because I have not been communing with Him in prayer.

Prayer is a tool that God has given to accompany us in every aspect of our walk. Paul told the church at Thessalonica to pray without ceasing, and this command not only applies to the Thessalonian saints of the first century, but to every Christian who has ever walked this earth. When we pray, it shouldn’t just be repeating words, but prayer is actually communication with God. It should be personal. It should be specific. When we are making requests known and praying for others, we should understand our objective in that request and be specific with what we ask for.

In my studies, God has showed me how to pray effective prayers.

  1. Repent and Worship God

    John 9:31

    Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

  2. Store His Word in Your Heart

    John 15:7
    If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

  1. Pray according to His Willl (His Word)

    1 John 5:14
    And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us

  2. Pray Believing

    Matthew 21:22
    And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, beleiving, ye shall receive.

  3. Pray to the Father in Jesus Name

    John 14:14
    If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

The effectual (effective) fervent (consistent) prayer of the righteous avails much. I stress time and time again in my devotions that we have been made righteous in Christ, therefore when we consistently pray according to the scripture listed above we know that God will hear us and that He will move on our behalf.

Target your prayer. Don’t just throw up general prayers and expect God to move. Talk to God as you would your spouse or your best friend – for He is both our husband and our best friend. God has been showing me that time is precious, that we must diligently seek Him while He may be found, and as we seek Him our prayers must be specific.

No comments: