Wednesday, October 10, 2007

God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him

As I sit here thanking God for the free time I have, I know that I have to take advantage of this time by seeking God like never before. It's funny that just a few days ago I wrote a devotion on the preciousness of time, and now those words are becoming ever so important. The last portion of Hebrews 11:6 has been ringing in my ears for the past week or so, "he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." It seems as if God has been stringing me forward, the closer I get to Him, the farther away He moves - but I'm seeing both my faith and my perseverence intensify and I'm finding that my focus has shifted more towards the Kingdom of God and His righteousness - right where it should be.

At this point in my walk I'm beginning to seek Him like never before because I understand the importance of now. I understand that time is running short and there is a harvest of souls out there waiting on me to line up and allow God to release His power through me and prove Himself as God. He wants to draw people to Christ through the Holy Spirit within me, but that can only happen through my submission and obedience.

I did a search on BibleGateway.com using the words 'diligently seek' and came across 3 scriptures other than Hebrews 11:6.

  • Proverbs 11:27-28 reads: "He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour: but he that seeketh mischief, it shall come unto him. He that trusteth in his riches shall fall; but the righteous shall flourish as a branch." The only thing that is good is God (Matthew 9:17). Therefore we can say that He who diligently seeks God gains favor! Since we are the righteousness of God in Christ we should not seek stuff, but as Jesus commanded in Matthew 6:33 we must seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.

  • Proverbs 7:15 was also listed where Solomon speaks about a married woman diligently seeking another man in adultery. He warns the reader not to follow her, for she will turn a mans heart away from God and lead him to death and hell (sheol).

  • The last scripture, Luke 15:8, is an account of Jesus speaking a parable about a woman diligently seeking a piece of silver she lost comparing it to a shephard who looses one sheep which signifies the LORD seeking one lost soul. He says that "there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth."


So, why did I just list these 3 scriptures? Because we all seek something. Whether it be money and material items (Luke 15:8), a man or woman who is not our spouse (Proverbs 17:5) or the goodness of God (Hebrews 11:6 and Proverbs 11:27).

What are you seeking? What am I seeking? Where our treasure is, there will our hearts be also. We should all be diligently seeking God, for our time is short. We should put away all vanity, all pride, all lust, and put our total trust in Jesus Christ, proving our faith by our actions and proving our love by obeying His commandments.

Isaiah 55:6
"Seek the LORD while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near."

No comments: